The Department of Philosophy is one of the oldest departments of our college. In fact, since the establishment of the college, the Department did open its Intermediate Course in 1887. The Pass Course in Philosophy was started from 1955 and the Honours Course in 1961. The Department has always a good academic record. Recently, the Department has hosted a three part ‘Periodical lectures’ series: Social and Political Philosophy by Prof. Prahlad Kumar Sarkar, Philosophy of Language/Critical Thinking and Philosophizing by Prof. Subirranjan Bhattacharyya, Post Independence Indian Philosophy by Prof. Krishna Chatterjee.
Assistant Professor, Head of the Department
• The department has its own library which is quite rich in collection of books and journals. Lecture method is normally followed. Apart from this procedure, tutorial classes and home assignment are also arranged by the faculty. Teachers are available beyond class hours and during vacations for academic interaction with students. LCD Projectors and computers are frequently used for comprehensive teaching.
• The department practices innovative teaching through Project and field work, organizing seminars, & Wall Magazine. The Department has planned to teach through project and fieldwork for Honours Students from this year for the benefit of the students.
• The department organizes seminars to encourage the students in their studies and prepare them for higher studies. Moreover, it also helps the faculty in their research work and platform for paper presentations, preparation to write and present papers.
• The students of the department of Philosophy takes active role in bringing out a wall magazine "Social Science Probing" Quarterly on Various issues related History and Political Science.
• Teachers participate in the programmes organized by the UGC Sponsored Career and Counseling cell.